Movie #4: Amadeus

Amadeus


Date Watched: 05/24/24

Format: Streaming on TV via Netflix

"I will speak for all the mediocrities in the world.  I am their champion.  I am their patron saint "

Directing (⭐⭐⭐):

I do like Forman and he has done some really good work.  Amadeus was just an average effort in my opinion.  Maybe better acting would have helped his case.  I don't know.  I guess when you are given Larry Kroger and Ed Rooney, you are forced to work with what you have.

Writing (⭐⭐⭐):

A decent translation from stage to screen.  The originality of the story is what really sets it apart.  A little bit of wit goes a long way and it may have been overdone in some scenes.

Acting (⭐⭐):

F. Murray Abraham.  That's it.

Wildcard (⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐):

Music.  This was the major redeeming quality for this film and maybe one of the best in history.  It was a top notch soundtrack even before you throw in all of Mozart's best.  If only there was a cut with only the music.

Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda:

Despite my lackluster feelings for this movie, the Academy probably got this one right.  There was not much to contend with in this year.  Although not nominated, The River, was probably my favorite for the year.  It was still a great year for "entertainment", however, with the likes of Ghostbusters, Splash, The Karate Kid, Beverly Hills Cop, and Dune.  

Ranking:

1) Gone with the Wind (Movie #1) 17⭐

2) On the Waterfront (Movie #3) 16⭐

3) Amadeus (Movie #4) 13⭐

4) Shakespeare in Love (Movie #2) 13⭐

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie #3: On the Waterfront

Movie #5: Forrest Gump