Reflecting on Movies 1-10

Well, 10 movies down.  Still a long way to go but it has gone well so far.  I think the first 10 were a good collection that spanned all genres and generations.  Normally, I have just ranked the overall movie, but I wanted to take some time and reflect on what other comparisons can be made between the films.  Almost a mini Academy Awards if I may.

Best Director

Winner:  Victor Fleming - Gone with the Wind
Runner Up:  Robert Zemeckis - Forrest Gump
10th Place:  John Madden - Shakespeare in Love

Although Gump topped my overall list, I will give the nod to Fleming in directing.  As I said in the post, what was done with the film for 1939 was amazing.  As for the bottom, not much of a competition.  John Madden in a landslide.

Best Actor

Winner:  Marlon Brando - On the Waterfront
Runner Up:  Tom Hanks - Forrest Gump
10th Place:  Joseph Fiennes - Shakespeare in Love

Another runner-up for Forrest.  Not going to say anything wrong with Tom Hanks, but Brando in Waterfront has really stood the test of time, giving it the edge.  Fiennes will always be a head scratcher.

Best Actress

Winner:  Vivien Leigh - Gone with the Wind
Runner Up:  Shirley MacLaine - The Apartment
10th Place:  Gwenyth Paltrow - Shakespeare in Love

The story let MacLaine down, but Leigh was the easy pick.  Man, do I hate Scarlett O'Hara.  Two for two with Shakespeare in Love.  Paltrow joins Fiennes at the bottom.

Best Supporting Actor

Winner:  F. Murray Abraham - Amadeus
Runner Up:  Gary Sinise - Forrest Gump
10th Place:  Fred MacMurray - The Apartment

Abraham was the perfect fit in Amadeus.  I know it may be cheating that I have him as supporting when he did win the Oscar for lead actor, but I have always viewed him in a supporting role (although he stole the show).  It is sad how bad the rest of the cast was.  Lt.  Dan will probably always be in my top 10.  MacMurray was as much of the wrong casting as F.  Murray was the right one.

Best Supporting Actress

Winner:  Olivia de Havilland - Gone with the Wind
Runner Up:  Dame Judi Dench - Shakespeare in Love
10th Place:  Naomie Harris - Moonlight

Olivia de Havilland was the perfect balance to Vivien Leigh so I think she deserves the nod.  There were not many supporting roles in these first 10 films, so I will side with the Academy and give Dench the runner up.  She was really good in a film of poor directing and acting.  Closing it out with Naomie Harris.  Reflecting for a couple of weeks and I really didn't like that role and I determined it was not the character, it was her.

Best Writing

Winner:  Eric Roth - Forrest Gump
Runner Up:  Barry Jenkins - Moonlight
10th Place:  Wings

Finally had to give Gump a win with something but at least it was earned.  I was pleasantly surprised with Barry Jenkins and a 2nd place is deserved.  Wings, maybe you can blame it on the times, but there was no writing to speak of for this film.

I am very happy with the 1st 10 movies and I look forward to the next 10.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie #3: On the Waterfront

Movie #5: Forrest Gump

Movie #2: Shakespeare in Love